Distillery Blueprints: The Yakezie Challenge

My vision for this blog has been to help people extract the vital aspects of personal finance as they pursue financial independence.

As part of this vision, I have been reaching out and connecting with other bloggers to see how I can improve my chances of making a positive impact. After all, what’s the point of writing if no one is reading?

I came across a few people mentioning the Yakezie Challenge.

Basically, the challenge is to post at least twice a week for 6 months while connecting with other bloggers in the Yakezie Network.

As it turns out, I had started the challenge without even realizing it. I was already reaching out to other bloggers in my network and just recently increased my posting frequency from once a week to twice a week (Tuesdays & Saturdays).

But it’s not official until it’s “post-about-it” official, so that being said, I am officially starting my Yakezie challenge right now.

The challenge also asks that we track our Alexa rankings. If you’re unfamiliar with Alexa, it is a free online toolbar that tracks the popularity of various web pages. If you don’t have the toolbar yet, download it as it is pretty cool to see where sites rank comparative to each other.

It wasn’t a surprise to see Facebook, Google & Youtube all make it in the top 3.

I was shocked to see WordPress rank so highly at 41.

It is amazing to see that blogging is such a popular hobby (or vocation) for so many people.

My current Alexa rank as of 4/16/2016 is 1,770,615. When I first installed the toolbar I was unranked and a few days later on 3/16/2016 I was at 6,662,236. The goal of the Yakezie Challenge is to reach a rank of at least 200,000 within 6 months!

One of the great benefits of learning from other bloggers is having less stress when tweaking my own site or figuring out how to make something work.

The Yakezie Challenge means I will have more time to craft my content to be as good as possible.

It is also rewarding to connect with people who have the same interest in personal finance. In each conversation I’ve had so far, especially over the phone, I feel that both parties walk away having learned a few things.

Here’s to the next 6 months!

P.S. You’ll start to see the following badge at the bottom of each page:

Yakezie Badge

• Stefan @Mllnnlbudget Apr 16, 2016, 10:46 am

This is an interesting challenge I will be looking into. I assume anybody can join correct?

• The Practical Saver (@practicalsaver) Apr 16, 2016, 11:53 am

Good luck. I thought about it a few times. Might give it a try one of these days.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 19, 2016, 4:52 am

Thanks! Def check it out. If you don’t join, then at least you’re already doing what the challenge recommends (posting frequently and connecting with others).

• amber tree Apr 16, 2016, 1:20 pm

The challenge sounds familiar. I have seen it pop up left and right. Keep us posted on how it goes. It might be interesting to join as well.

• The Green Swan Apr 16, 2016, 3:00 pm

Nice, I hadn’t heard of the challenge before, very interesting. Best of luck reaching 200,000! I’m confident you’ll do well.

• Apathy Ends Apr 17, 2016, 12:29 pm

Good luck – I will be joining you soon!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 19, 2016, 4:50 am

That’s good to hear! The nice thing about the challenge is that it basically covers what most people, yourself included, are already doing.

• pamela Apr 17, 2016, 9:53 pm

Interesting challenge. Reaching out to other bloggers is definetly the way to go. I did not realize how many people blogged about personal finance myself until I started it 3 months ago.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 19, 2016, 4:44 am

I feel the same way about noticing how many pf bloggers are out there. I had been inspired by some of the big blogs out there, but luckily there are many up and coming bloggers to communicate with, connect with, etc.

• FinanceSuperhero Apr 18, 2016, 1:48 pm

Looking forward to tracking your journey and cheering you on, Matt. I will hopefully be joining you soon enough!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 19, 2016, 4:54 am

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it goes, in case you’re still on the fence after checking it out.

• Dames in Debt Apr 18, 2016, 7:48 pm

Hey, welcome to the challenge! I just joined too!

• Sam @ Financial Samurai Apr 19, 2016, 5:35 pm

Good luck with the challenge! It’s an individual effort that can be more rewarding than you might realise!

The key is to just keep on going NO MATTER WHAT. No excuses. Build your network of blogging buddies and GROW TOGETHER!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 21, 2016, 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Sam!

I actually reiterated your comment to a few fellow bloggers over the phone the past few days as its the best summary of what the Yakezie challenge is all about – growing together.

• Financial Slacker Apr 19, 2016, 7:57 pm

Great for you! I came across the Challenge and have been thinking about it as well. I needed to get comfortable that I could hit the 2 to 4 posts per week.

Good luck.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 21, 2016, 8:56 pm

I tested the waters in a sense by seeing if 2x a week worked on my schedule. The nice thing with blogging is you can write up posts on a free weekend and build out a pipeline. This has been my plan to some degree.

Let me know if you decide to take on the challenge.

• Financial Slacker Apr 22, 2016, 9:57 am

I just announced on my site that I have joined the Alexa Challenge as well.

I initally had the same concerns about posting 2 – 4 times per week consistently. And I agree, if you can build up a little cushion of posts, it definitely takes off some of the pressure.

And after seeing you join, it motivated me to do the same.

Good luck and I look forward to working with you over the coming months.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 22, 2016, 6:37 pm

Wow! I’m glad to hear you joined and equally as glad to hear I played a small part in it.

As Sam from FS put it, the challenge is a great mix of individual effort towards posting and a group effort towards building each other up.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!