Warren Buffett Live Q and A: This Weekend

Warren Buffett to Field 100 Questions This Saturday

Once a year, investor Warren Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger, open themselves up for 6 hours of Q&A during the Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting.

In the past, you needed to own shares to gain access, but this year marks the first time the event will be streamed live over the internet.

For my fellow FIRE nerds out there, here’s the link to watch live on Saturday, starting at 10am EST*. The live event will be recorded and available for 30 days on Yahoo Finance, for those who can’t make it this Saturday.

Buffett & Munger field more than one hundred questions relating to investing, economics, and even general life advice on books to read or ideas to pursue.

In light of this weekend’s event, I wanted to retell my favorite analogy from Warren Buffett (scroll down to the end to see the analogy).

This will be my 4th time watching the event, but the first time from my couch.

In 2012, my first stock purchase was for 3 Berkshire class B shares. I bought the shares with the sole purpose of attending the meeting live to see Warren and Charlie speak.

I used to drive 7 hours from Chicago to see the Oracle of Omaha. Now I get to roll out of bed and flip open my computer.

This is a rare opportunity and I would recommend everyone spend some time Saturday to lay on the couch and hear what these two have to say.

My favorite Warren Buffett Analogy:

Imagine you have a car that runs extremely well as it is brand new. This also happens to be the only car you can use for the rest of your life. For every trip you ever plan to go on in the future, you need to have this car take you there and back.

Picture how diligent you would be with the maintenance, how much care you would take to keep the car clean, and how you would prevent the car from incurring any damage.

Now replace the car with your mind, because that’s what the reality is.

Your mind will determine how far you go in life.

Buffett encourages us to constantly be learning because, as he says, “the more you learn, the more you earn.”

He goes on to reinforce this message, “The biggest financial asset that you have going for you, by miles, is the value of your own earning power over the years. That’s really what you should be focusing on.”

As a bonus, I’m including one of my favorite quotes from Charlie Munger,

“All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so that I never go there.”

I’m looking forward to pouring myself a fresh cup of coffee, grabbing my notebook, and settling into my couch.

Here’s to another weekend of learning from two of the best.

*If you’re arriving at this post after April 30th, check back on May 10th, where I’ll write up a recap of the day’s events. Or, check out my twitter handle @distilleddollar for my tweets during the meeting. As mentioned above, the video is available to be replayed for 30 days following the event.

• Martin - Get FIRE'd asap Apr 26, 2016, 6:26 am

Hey there Matt. Do you think it will be available to watch after the event? That time may not work for those of us outside the U.S. of A.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 26, 2016, 6:28 am

That’s a great question Martin! The video will be available on Yahoo Finance for 30 days following the meeting. I’ll add an edit to the article to let others know as well. Thanks!

• Apathy Ends Apr 26, 2016, 7:46 am

Good to know, Mrs. AE is out of town this weekend so I get the TV to myself!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 26, 2016, 9:54 pm

Hah! Sounds like a good plan to me. I’ll basically being the same for the first portion until my girlfriend wakes up.

• FinanceSuperhero Apr 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Thanks for the heads up on this great opportunity, Matt. I had not heard about it, surprisingly.

Buffett’s Letters to Shareholders is on my reading list for this summer. I may end up bumping it up and reading it next month after Saturday.

• The Millennial Budget Apr 26, 2016, 12:33 pm

Really glad you posted this. I am glad it will be on yahoo finance so I can watch the entire thing as time permits! They always give great lessons at these talks and really allow investors to understand the economy from their persepctive. Guess my Saturday is now booked!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 26, 2016, 9:57 pm

I have a feeling I’ll be re-watching certain parts of it after I watch it on Saturday. Especially when Buffett & Munger start to go back and forth on a specific idea or policy.

• Dames in Debt Apr 26, 2016, 1:13 pm

This is really cool. We’re definitely going to check out the recording next week when we’ve got some free time. I had no idea that Warren Buffet did this every year.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 26, 2016, 9:58 pm

Oh ya! The Berkshire annual has been called the Woodstock for Capitalists, where 40,000 people visit Omaha for this event…but now it’ll be open to all on the internet! I’m sure Buffett himself could never have predicted how big his shareholder event would become.

• The Green Swan Apr 26, 2016, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. That is great it is available to watch live or stream for 30 days after, I may tune into it for my first time. It will be nice to take advantage of listening live to the Oracle himself!

The Green Swan

• Distilled Dollar Apr 26, 2016, 10:00 pm

Yep, the live factor (or within 30 days) will be real insightful for current events.

• Mr. PIE Apr 27, 2016, 11:05 am

Love the Charlie Munger quote. That’s a keeper.

I wonder how Buffet handles what is becoming rockstar status…..judging by how he keeps so level in everything he does, it probably never crosses his mind.

Started reading his latter to shareholders recently. Chocked full of nuggets of how to look at life once you cut through the plethora of financial data. There seems to be something for everybody in his letter, including our government.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 27, 2016, 1:19 pm

Charlie Munger is easily my favorite from the duo, as evidenced by his wit from that quote.

Buffett’s first jump into rockstar status was through his professional relationship with Katherine Graham. That was the point in his career when he started meeting international stars in the economic & political world. From the stories I have heard, he was awkward at first, but he quickly grew into his position as being a remarkable investor with business savvy.

• Financial Slacker Apr 27, 2016, 12:07 pm

This is great for those of us that have never been able to attend a meeting (or any Buffett event) in person. Like many, I’ve been reading the Shareholder Letters for years. I’ve even read Graham & Dodd’s Security Analysis classic book that Warren Buffett recommends. That’s an undertaking as it’s over 700 pages. But it’s good stuff.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m really looking forward to it.

• Distilled Dollar Apr 27, 2016, 1:23 pm

Glad to hear you’ve gone from not knowing to excited about the event!

Security Analysis is a behemoth. After reading it in college, I didn’t want to look at another 10k or think about railroad assets ever again…hah, but the approach was golden and I still scan a few 10k’s each year, in large part because of Ben Graham.

If you haven’t picked it up, I’d highly recommend reading Ben Graham’s The Intelligent Investor. Chapters 8 & 20 are Buffett’s “favorite chapters” that he’s ever read. They describe in detail Mr. Market and Margin of Safety (you can wiki it if you want the quick, watered down version). The book in general is much easier to read and not filled with so many charts.

• amber tree Apr 27, 2016, 12:57 pm

Live stream and available after that on Yahoo!!! great! We are on a weekend trip, so no life streaming for me. I am sure to find the time to watch it afterwards!

• Distilled Dollar Apr 27, 2016, 1:26 pm

I have a strong feeling I’ll be re-watching some of the live Q&A shortly after the event on Saturday. It is great to see Yahoo is offering 30 days worth of replays.

• Dividendsdownunder Apr 28, 2016, 1:14 am

100 questions is like the equivalent of a genie giving 3 wishes. I hope they are good questions, I’d love to read every answer. I hope you enjoy the webcast. It’s a shame, I would love to see the man in person, it will be too late by then for me.

Tristan

• Distilled Dollar May 4, 2016, 5:49 am

There were definitely some laugh out loud moments and a good amount of insight as well. Often at the same time. That’s one of the joys of hearing from Warren. He’s able to tell a funny anecdote that also drives him a deeper message.