My Thoughts on Walking, Biking, and Driving

Today’s post comes at you from a completely different direction. I’m not sure where it came from, but I felt inspired to put together my thoughts on walking, biking, and driving.

I have nothing against cars, but I have designed my lifestyle now to live in a place where I don’t need a car. This single decision has made me healthier, happier and wealthier over the past year than nearly any other decision.

In your life, you might have made a similar change such as opting to cook more meals instead of eating at restaurants or opting for road trips instead of travelling to foreign countries. The principles below should hold true in those instances as well.

Without further ado, a Distilled Dollar original:

The one who walks makes more than might suggest

He values his time and is rewarded
Each dollar he earns is kept to invest
Not spent buying goods to be applauded

The one who bikes is rich to travel far
She values her time and is rewarded
Each pedal brings exercise with no car
No moment’s idle while health’s awarded

The one who drives is quick and efficient
He values his time and is rewarded
Each pedal push, funds grow insufficient
Not purchasing the time he’s afforded

Everyone values their own time and feels rewarded when they do so.

The definition of reward is, “receive what one deserves”.

We might not be rewarded with what we want, but we will be reward with what we deserve.

That might be a bit harsh, as we often see unfortunate rewards as problems popping up.

So, what are you rewarding yourself with? We all have different priorities in life. We each are free to spend our hard earned cash how we best see fit. I myself love a great bourbon and travel.

I also coupled my thoughts on walking, biking, and driving with the idea that everyone has different priorities. Some value luxury travel while others are happier to put that money into a savings account or invest it into the market.

We each feel rewarded based on what we value and it becomes subjective over who is receiving the larger value in return.

So, are you rewarding yourself by investing in what you value the most?

• Jon Jun 24, 2016, 7:42 am

Bravo! I have been reading personal finance blogs for quite some time and this is definitely the first piece of original poetry that I have come across – well done!

It’s a good reminder that everything we do is a reflection of our values. If we choose to not think about them and mindlessly muddle through the days/weeks/years, then we are still living our values whether we choose to acknowledge it or not.

Be thoughtful about your priorities and live your life accordingly – that was my takeaway and I think, also very good advice!

• Distilled Dollar Jun 26, 2016, 2:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read it Jon. I wasn’t sure how my poetry was going to hold up, so I appreciate the kind words!

I agree that everything we do is a reflection of our values. When I hear someone say, “I don’t have time for that,” I’ve started to reinterpret that as them saying, “I’ve chosen to put my time and energy into other activities.” We each value different things, I just hope we all can shift as much as possible to have our actions be in alignment with our values.

• Amanda @ centsiblyrich Jun 24, 2016, 9:17 am

Thanks for the reminder! Overall, I feel like my family lives in a way that is in line with our values (though we drive more than I would like, which will thankfully change in the next year). The most important thing is to be intentional with both our time and our money.

• Distilled Dollar Jun 26, 2016, 2:41 pm

Exactly! I like how you phrased it too, “the most important thing is to be intentional with both our time and our money.” Well said!

• Pamela Jun 24, 2016, 12:34 pm

Great insight. It’s important for us an individuals to determine what we value, not let society dictate what that might be. Letting social pressure and feeling the need to fit in with other or be accepted is hard to ignore, but it is something we need to do in order for us to really invest in what we value the most. Great analogy as well. Very simple and to the point.

• Distilled Dollar Jun 26, 2016, 2:45 pm

Thanks Pamela! I think social pressures is what leaves many people running up credit card debt and feeling stressed about money. It is “cool” to buy a new luxury car but it is “boring” to set up a retirement account. I always found that to be odd, since the retirement account makes us feel confident and secure in our future.

• Vicki@MSDLifeCoaching Jun 24, 2016, 3:17 pm

Love the poem! The talents abound over at the Distilled Dollar! I think it is so important not to judge others’ for their choices. Walk, bike, drive? We do a little of each – but have taken to walking now with extra time. I think others would like to walk or bike more, but it is not in their plan at this point – although it may never be, and that’s OK! A great Friday read!

• Distilled Dollar Jun 26, 2016, 5:22 pm

I’m glad you loved it! It took a surprising amount of time to write three sets of ten syllable lines, so its nice to see it was worth it.

I agree we shouldn’t judge and I hope that one’s element the poem gets across: we all receive the rewards from what we pursue. I remember talking to one reader who told me he preferred to drive luxury cars because that’s what made him happy. Pursuing FI will always be about what makes the individual happiest and most fulfilled.

• Isabel Jun 24, 2016, 8:05 pm

Rang a deep chord! Important to live our own values in this our life! At certain times no explanations are needed to others when we no longer have to think about ‘being on the same page’ etc.

• Distilled Dollar Jun 26, 2016, 5:27 pm

Absolutely! I found myself drifting along to outside values for too long. I’m glad I have been able to recognize this and now I am happy to be pursuing what I find valuable.

• Elsie @ Gundomoney Jun 30, 2016, 5:22 pm

This post brings to mind the idea that the harder we work for things the more we value them. I think a lot of happiness ends up getting created out of creating and doing things worth while.

It’s a very counterintuitive idea because society says the more convenient and easy our lives are the happier we will be. If argue that we get more out of life when we hop on a bike, get our hands dirty in the garden, or learn to fix something ourselves.

• Distilled Dollar Jul 3, 2016, 4:13 pm

I completely agree – I find I’m happiest after producing something of value for myself and others.

• Julie@ChooseBetterLife Jun 30, 2016, 11:23 pm

Great post and lovely poem!
    Our city isn’t organized well for pedestrians nor for bicyclists, but I love it just the same and won’t ever leave because my family is here 🙂
    Instead, we try to cluster our errands, work close to home as often as possible, and make our drive time productive with educational podcasts.

• Distilled Dollar Jul 3, 2016, 4:17 pm

That sounds great. Chicago is pretty well constructed to allow for walking, but I’ve been to plenty of cities where a car is an absolute must (LA comes to mind).

• Rich Jul 26, 2016, 9:28 pm

Dance. Drawing. Playing instruments. Play.

That is what I value.

• Distilled Dollar Jul 27, 2016, 8:03 am

Sweet! I happen to play the Piano a bit, but I’m not particularly good. I know a few songs, but would love to learn more as I get older.