Indexing and My Brexit Update

Indexing and My Brexit Update

During the recent Brexit meltdown, I kept my approach of “Keep Calm and Carry On”, with my index fund investing (minus my 5% “play” fund of individual stocks).

Compare my approach with that of a close friend of mine who quickly moved his portfolio from equities to cash because, “this SHIP is going DOWN!”

When it comes to large market events, it can be extremely difficult to time the market. When we do succeed in timing the market, it can be even MORE difficult to attribute our success to luck rather than our intelligence.

Personally, I purchased shares in Tesla before they skyrocketed. It was the first investment I ever made, and I’ve only added to my previous position, never allowing my shares to exceed 5% of my total portfolio.

I now need to tread carefully as my overconfidence in individual stock picking might cause some damage down the road.

That being said, I will now transition to the topic of Indexing!

Indexing

Most likely, you thought indexing in the title was about my index fund approach, but you would be wrong. You might have thought I would go into detail here about how index funds have outperformed actively managed funds, but, once again, nope.

While I do believe indexing is a great approach for most people, this post is not about that type of indexing.

After a few requests, I decided to create an index page where you can find all my articles ever written.

…including my Investing 101 article about index investing…so I guess this is all a form of…”indextion”!

Insert picture here of the movie banner Inception but spend a good hour reformatting the title to cleverly read Indextion. (Editor’s note: Matt, I’m not your graphic designer, I’m your editor!)

Many of my first articles were on topics I had wanted to write about for years, but naturally, they’ve received very little traffic to date. Let me know if you find anything valuable by leaving a comment.

I officially launched my site on March 14th, but you’ll notice posts going back to January.

Enjoy!

Did you change your portfolio in the wake of Brexit? Were you as big a fan of Indextion as much as I was?

• Jon Jul 15, 2016, 5:28 am

I’m a big fan of indexing and dollar cost averaging as well. I rode out the Brexit “storm” by staying the course and our net worth hit a record high yesterday – Wa Hoo!

I’m looking forward to browsing through your index later, I really enjoy the site and your writing style!

• Apathy Ends Jul 15, 2016, 6:49 am

I have been trying to figure out how to do the same thing! Some of my favorite posts are buried at the bottom. They may need a review though so maybe that’s a good thing for now

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 8:23 am

I did it the manual way, but apparently there is a plugin out there for this type of thing. If I find it, I’ll let you know what it is. My current process should take me a few minutes every week or two to update, so I don’t have a huge incentive to research online for another plugin.

• FinanceSuperhero Jul 15, 2016, 8:25 am

I, too, really need to get to work on my own index page. It seemed silly to create when when I started in April, but like you said, many of my earliest pieces weren’t well read.

It’s too bad your friend panicked in the wake of Brexit. He should have lived by your mantra!

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 8:26 am

Yep, not only did he panic, but he’s also now telling me the market is too high so he will not invest. His market timing might work here and there, but over the long run, the stats show he’ll be burned.

As for the index, I agree. My earliest posts were the ones I spent months thinking about…and then they never were read! Haha, but at least I developed a process early on and now I enjoy writing my latest articles much more than those earlier ones.

• Physician on FIRE Jul 15, 2016, 2:03 pm

Ah… you tricked me with your vile clickbait!

I like the post indexing as well. I added an “All Posts” page just 2 days ago. It’s been one of the most clicked links on the page.

Details on how I did it (and how easy it is): Installed plugin “Simple posts list”. Created a new page titled “All Posts”. Entered smartcode [posts] as the only text on the page.

Presto! All the posts on one page: http://www.physicianonfire.com/all-posts/

Cheers!
    -PoF

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 8:28 am

Awesome! Thanks for the info – you eliminated my need to do any research. 🙂

One question though – are you able to include an intro before the long list of posts begins?

• Brad Moore Jul 16, 2016, 2:04 am

I missed Tesla out of the box, but picked up SolarCity [SCTY} between 7 & $11, held it just over 13 month when it passed over $75 – that felt good – if only my original investment could have been over $100,000! Brexit certainly popped Gold to $1,374 per Troy Ounce -this week it deflated with 5 good days for the DOW… Still, if you have money – with a little smarts, and time, you can make money. I no longer have time, or money…

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 8:30 am

I’m curious if you still trade even after the time and money are gone? I’m sure you still have some trades after that SCTY gain?

I’m happy with index investing since it fits my lifestyle of being a passive investor for now.

• Martin - Get FIRE'd asap Jul 17, 2016, 2:18 am

Hi there DD, I’ve had a post index page from day one although when i started,in March, it did look a little lonely. It’s definitely more respectable now. http://www.getfiredasap.com/post-index/

I just add each post to it in chronological order and put a link on the sidebar to the page.

I do look back at some of my early posts (which weren’t that long ago) and see The changes in my writing style. It’s all part of the fun of being a blogger.

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 8:32 am

100% agree on your last paragraph. Earlier I was going back and editing some of my earlier articles. I stopped doing that now so people can see the progression in my writing style.

I might still go back and touch up popular articles, especially to update numbers or charts, but the writing style will stay largely the same.

• Martin - Get FIRE'd asap Jul 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

Heya Matt, I reckon you don’t change past articles as they are a record of how it was at the time. Instead, write new articles on the same subject with the situation now. If it’s a worthwhile subject that needs new information it’s worth a repost. Just provide links between the old and the new. What do you think?

• Distilled Dollar Jul 22, 2016, 9:56 pm

Oh, I may have misrepresented what I do. I basically go back and edit the formatting. So, I might see one block paragraph of eight sentences and break it up into two paragraph of four sentences instead. I haven’t touched the content as much.

I agree that as a reader, it gives someone the chance to go back and see how the story originated. As of now, the blog is still new, so there isn’t much history, but I think there will be more value as time goes on.