55 Money Tips From 7 Bloggers

I had a great time doing a guest post on Allan’s site ThePracticalSaver.com. Allen put together 55 money tips from 7 bloggers, including myself. I loved the list and have been meaning to share it directly with my readers. Given the post is now hitting its one month period, I figured now is a better time than ever.

Click here now to check out the full post on 55 Money Tips from 7 Bloggers.

Personally, I had many favorites but these were the few that stood out for me. I’ll list them here, but know that each one on the list contains a brief description from the blogger.

Here’s my favorite money tips from the list:

15. School is just as much a place to learn as it is to network

25. Drink more water (DD: this is the example I use when I explain compound interest to new people. Opting for water during lunch and dinner every time will save you a buck or two and will help keep you lean and mean!)

35. Read The Millionaire Next Door (DD Note: This is amongst the top personal finance books I’ve ever come across. Tremendous book.)

40. Increase your chances of success by automating your savings (DD: Automating as much as possible feels great, its smart, and it leaves more time for learning more about other ways to save money OR to just enjoy life.)

50. Be sure to look at the total cost of the item (DD: easier said than done when people market to us the monthly payment all the time.)

I’m not sure what it was with the increments of 5’s but it worked out!

Oh, and I’ll toss in that being from the Midwest and being a fan of whiskey, I also enjoyed tip number 56 – PreGame! 🙂

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the tips!

Any tips you would have added to the list?

• Vicki@Make Smarter Decisions Aug 19, 2016, 5:55 am

Huge fan of drinking water – and I like the analogy there! Have a great weekend DD! (And to Mrs. DD too!)

• Jon @ Be Net Worthy Aug 19, 2016, 5:59 am

I just checked out the list over on The Practical Saver, I missed it when it first came out. I must have been in my launch frenzy back then.

Good stuff! The only tip I didn’t see covered in either list is to develop a DIY mindset and habit. I just saved $135 by installing a new faucet in the kitchen myself. It was easy and only took my :20 minutes and required no special tools.

• Distilled Dollar Aug 19, 2016, 6:35 am

Great point! Looking at it now, I’m surprised that isn’t on the list!

• Matt @ Optimize Your Life Aug 19, 2016, 1:59 pm

“15. School is just as much a place to learn as it is to network.” This is a great point that I largely missed when I was in school. I would add that it is also an important place to build your social intelligence. You can be the smartest person in the world, but it will still be difficult to succeed without knowing how to work with other people.

• Francesca - From Pennies to Pounds Aug 19, 2016, 4:19 pm

I also really like the tip about networking in school. So much business is done through friends, and it really does come down to ‘it’s not what you know, but who you know’.

• Distilled Dollar Aug 22, 2016, 6:55 pm

I view it as, at the very top there are dozens of people capable of putting together the work. So at that stage, it comes down to relationships.

• Finance Solver Aug 19, 2016, 9:09 pm

Ah drinking water.. I love water!! I think there’s a restaurant out there that specializes only in the different types of water and I so want to go to that restaurant to judge how different water tastes. I may be coming across as a bit of a weirdo but I can’t help it 🙂

• Distilled Dollar Aug 22, 2016, 6:58 pm

Haha! I met a man who travelled to over 50 countries and someone was asking him about his favorite food. He went on about different dishes from here and there.

Someone then asked what his favorite drink was. He paused and leaned back. “I’ve been to a lot of places, and I can tell you, nothing tastes better…than a cold glass of water.”

• Dividends Down Under Aug 21, 2016, 1:46 am

Lots of good tips there! Water is an absolute favourite – the cheapest, healthiest and I actually prefer the taste to other things.

• Distilled Dollar Aug 22, 2016, 6:59 pm

Agreed on the taste! I find water let’s me enjoy my dish more, since it doesn’t have an overly sugar flavor.

• Jeff Proctor Aug 21, 2016, 4:52 am

Automating savings has been a HUGE game changer for me, on top of automating all of my bills as well. Definitely a few things on this list that I’m not yet doing, though. Thanks for the tips! Love this blog and also Allan’s 🙂