The Millennial Manifesto

Today’s post is ANOTHER feature I have with The Huffington Post! I’m excited to share what I hold as a deep rooted belief about the generation labeled as, “millennials,” where I explain my Millennial Manifesto.

The article felt like I was pouring a piece of my soul onto the page so give it a read and leave a comment below or on the Huff Po page itself by clicking here.

Here’s an excerpt from the piece:

The old world is a consumer matrix designed by people who’ve gone through the most fundamental shift society has ever experienced. Individuals working together became large conglomerates working for a few elite shareholders.

Following World War II, people went to work for the ever growing large corporations. The thought of personal finance was replaced with a focus on loyalty to the corporation.

Put your head down, work hard, and you’ll retire with a pension.

Caring about or planning our own financial lives became less meaningful. We suffered multiple generations where the knowledge of previous generations did not need to be passed down.

We could trust someone else for our future financial needs.

Forming wise financial habits is our generation’s opportunity to leave a positive legacy. Yet, older generations teach us money is something we should NOT discuss!

Makes my blood boil.

We lost sight of who we were. Despite this being a new frontier, it is only “new” for us. This world of uncertainty and chaos would be nothing new to our ancestors. This phase we are currently shifting away from — a stable 40-year-career ending with a pension — is one tiny chapter in our history.

Corporations have learned they don’t need to reward loyalty and they don’t need to handle our personal finances.

You can read the full article on Huff Post by clicking here.

Let me know what you think!

• Ms. Montana Dec 2, 2016, 8:12 am

Congrats on the feature! It’s a great perspective and spot on. Figuring out how to thrive in this new economy is challenging. My parents and grandparents weren’t able to pass down any personal finance knowledge. I had to sort it all out from a big pile of books. But there has never been more opportunity to customize our ideal life.

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 8:55 pm

Thanks!! I definetly agree on your point about customization – especially with the amount of technology current available.

• Emily Dec 2, 2016, 10:10 am

Huff Post feature?? – huzzah! – The money talk has always been a taboo topic in my family. The upward trajectory of success meant graduating college, getting a job, putting your nose down and remaining loyal, as you say, for the next 30 years until a pension kicks in. I found myself beginning this path – more focused on how much I was making rather than the overall health of my personal finances. I think we will see huge growth in the gig-economy by 2020; as our generation values self-loyalty and financial independence.

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 8:59 pm

Huzzah!!! Haha – I haven’t done a good Huzzah since Ren Fair in Bristle!

Well put! I like that phrase self-loyalty as I’m interpreting it to mean being healthy and conscious of all our own decisions. I still recall seeing some parters in public accounting early in my career who were fantastic professionally but miserable personally. They obviously made a choice to value one side of the equation more, whereas I think more millennials will take a holistic approach in their careers.

• Martin - Get FIRE'd asap Dec 2, 2016, 2:25 pm

I’ve never really thought about it before, Mat, but you’re right on the money. Finances were never discussed in my family growing up. As far as my knowledge went, my parents (mostly my father) earned enough money to keep us fed, housed and comfortable in our ordinary, average middle-class lives. I had no idea how much he earned or what he did with it. There was enough money and that’s all we knew. So he never taught me anything about finance, investment, or any of the other complexities of managing our money in the modern world. As you point out, this complete lack of financial education, which has become quite normal, is a significant factor in how badly most people today manage their finances with the resulting issues that this brings. Great post mate and congrats on hitting the big time (again) with the Huff.

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 9:04 pm

Thanks Martin! Our households sounded the same…despite being many miles away! 🙂

• Jay Dec 3, 2016, 8:58 am

Congrats on the great guest post!

I really like the tone of your article. It’s great to read how passionate you are about this subject. And that even though you could reasonably be frustrated by the circumstances, I appreciate that you see it as an opportunity.

Keep fighting the good fight!

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 9:07 pm

Thanks Jay. This topic is definetly a close subject and one of the main reasons I became so passionate about personal finance to begin with. I’m excited to see more people take up the torch as we change the landscape of personal finance! 🙂

• Independent Hoosier Feb 15, 2017, 8:57 am

“We care much less about how much money we make and care more about what we end up making.”

That is a great statement!

The “consume less & give more” mentality freaks some people out. Newer ideals and ways of thinking are taking over. We don’t spend 20 years slaving away at a company anymore for a bullshit pension that may or may not be there when that day of retirement possibly arrives. We are taking steps to put our future in our own hands.

To quote Sarah Connor , “there is no fate but what we make.”

Helluva an article!

• Distilled Dollar Feb 15, 2017, 6:20 pm

Love the Sarah Connor quote!

I agree as the backlash (especially from ’08-’10) appears to be less on consuming stuff and more on consuming experiences (such as dining out and vacations). I fall into a consumer on the experiences, but I tend to be much more frugal than most on what we spend on. Most of my hobbies are basically free and I get a lot of incredible experiences out of them (reading, triathlon training, blogging and cooking)