12 Holiday Tips to Stay On Budget

12 Holiday Tips to Stay On Budget

I get it. It is the holiday season! Budgets should go OUT THE DOOR! … right? Well, in case you want to (or need to) stick with your budget, here are 12 Holiday tips to stay on budget.

We’re struggling ourselves with the holiday budget as we enter the final chapter of our frugality challenge. I’ll be having a full update on lessons learned and mistakes made this Wednesday. Long story short, we’re breaking records but still finding a few more opportunities to capitalize on.

((( Also, this past weekend I spent an entire Saturday working on an upcoming project. I’m real excited about launching it soon, so be on the lookout for a new announcement before the end of the year! I know you’re gonna love it! )))

Holiday budgets can always be a bit tricky, so I hope today’s post can offer some great pieces of advice. Specifically, the advice comes from 12 different personal finance experts on how to stay on budget. I’m happy to have collaborated with a great group to put together the piece.

Check it out by clicking on the link/box below and let me know what you think in the comments here or over there!

12 Holiday Tips to Stay On Budget

12 Experts Share Tips for Staying On Budget During the Holidays

Seriously, some real great pieces of advice, so I hope you benefit from the tips as well!

• Liz@ChiefMomOfficer Dec 5, 2016, 4:43 am

I always do #1 (write everything down) and #5 (have a budget) . Every year I make a list in Excel of each person I have to buy for, and their budget. What I also like to do that I didn’t see mentioned is save for Christmas all year long. Every week I have a small amount transferred from checking to a special savings account with an online bank. You can usually open a separate account at an online bank in just a few minutes. Then when the holidays roll around I have the budget set, and the money available to me, without needing to worry how I’m going to cover everything.

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 9:10 pm

Funny how your comment and the one immediately following by Mrs. Picky Pincher covered the same, great tip! 🙂

• Mrs. Picky Pincher Dec 5, 2016, 8:42 am

We were really worried about our holiday budget, since we spent about $800 on gifts last year. Yeesh! This year we started using credit card rewards to save up all year for holiday gifts. We aslso opted to make more DIY gift to save money. We aren’t done with our Christmas lists yet, but it looks like we’ll end up with at least $50 leftover! This means we’ll have zero budget impact from Christmas this year, as well as a little extra money in our pockets, if all goes according to plan.

• Distilled Dollar Dec 5, 2016, 9:12 pm

Whoa $800!! I hope you have a big family…haha. I think my biggest spend has been closer to $400. That’s a good idea on separating the account so it is there when you need it. Knowing myself, I would probably sneak into that fund half way through the year.

• Financial Panther Dec 5, 2016, 10:18 am

Has anyone tried out Dobot at all? I have it downloaded on my phone, but just never got around to setting up an account.

• Jay Dec 6, 2016, 5:33 am

Great article Matt! Your guest posting efforts lately have been great, well-done. I’m also glad you mentioned reward points, which I often find takes the edge off the spending.